The Department of Landscape Architecture offers a professionally accredited Bachelor of Landscape Architecture (BLA) degree. This means that the degree is the first step in becoming a licensed Landscape Architect. The BLA program is limited in the number of students we can accept and requires applications from students who have completed program prerequisites. The deadline for the BLA program is April 1st for admission the following Autumn term.
Applying to the BLA program
We welcome a new cohort of students each Autumn term. Applications are due the first day of Spring term. For the Autumn 2022 cohort, the application deadline is April 1. Review full application instructions here.
Your application will require you to upload a single PDF document (not to exceed 30 megabytes) that includes the following:
- Cover Sheet – includes your name, the year, and “BLA Application”
- Statement of Interest – include educational experiences, community service, and business situations which may have helped you decide to become a landscape architect, and why you wish to pursue this career (1-2 pages).
- Transcript(s) – from each community college, college or university attended. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable.
- Resume – for resume writing workshops, please see: http://careers.uw.edu/
- Portfolio of creative work – your portfolio is specific to your interests, abilities, and experiences that support your interest in landscape architecture. It should include examples of work demonstrating your creative capabilities, graphic proficiency, design process and approach, aesthetic and environmental sensitivity, and related endeavors or coursework you’ve undertaken. Exhibits may include products from crafts, artwork, photography, design studios, creative writing, musical compositions, or other pieces of work. For more information, check out our BLA Portfolio Review Guidelines.